1.25.2012

A sisyphean task.

I am terrible at doing the laundry.

It is perhaps the biggest item of contention between my wife and I.  I say I will do the laundry, but I don't.  I say I will fold the laundry, but I don't.  I say I will put away the laundry, but I don't.   

It is a wonder my wife hasn't left me yet.  She tolerates the hell out of me. I love her for it. 

As I thought about this today, it made me think of Sisyphus.  He was a Greek man who was sentenced by the Greek gods to continuously push a rock up a hill and as it neared the top it would roll back down and he would have to start again. 

To be fair to the Greek gods I think Sisyphus did seduce his niece and then had her kill the children she bore with him.  Maybe he got off easy.

Greek myths are fucked up.  As I remember the guy who stole fire for all of mankind (Prometheus) was sentenced by the Greek gods to have an eagle eat his liver out.  Every day.  The gods made it so his liver would re-grow each day so it could keep happening.  That is seriously messed up.  Guy wants to make fire and is rewarded with eternal-eagle-eating-liver torture.  Seems severe. 

Other tales (bonus points to those who can name them) involved a god cheating on his wife with a woman and then turning her into a cow, a man being turned into a deer and eaten alive by his hunting dogs for looking at a goddess' breasts and a sister of a god being kidnapped and forced to live in hell half the year for eating six pomegranate seeds.  If six seeds sends you to hell, the fact that I drink a glass of POM juice a day is worrying.  There really needs to be a warning on the container for that one.  

POM:  Contains Anti-oxidants (note: ingesting this product may cause eternal damnation).

The problem is that the minute I do the laundry it just starts piling up again.  I think I have isolated the problem:  Clothes.  Solution is obvious.  If I don't wear clothes then there will be no piling up of laundry.  As an added bonus my wife will have to not wear clothes too.  Hopefully, I don't get turned into a deer and eaten alive for looking at her breasts. 

Nudists are not more liberated than the average person, they are just more lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to tell me? Go ahead!