11.01.2011

The Cute Scary divide

So yesterday I had the pleasure of attending my first kindergarten Halloween parade with my son.  He is only 10 months old, but having a mommy as a teacher has its privileges.

All of the kindergarten kids were adorable in their little outfits and my son was dressed as a little chicken. 

But it got me thinking that eventually he will not want to be cute anymore.  He will want to be scary.  You see on the way to the kindergarten parade we passed the grade six classrooms.   These kids were definitely not cute anymore.  They were vampires and ghouls and were loud noisy and amped up on sugar.   I realised that this is what my little chicken is going to become.   He will eventually grow his wings and turn into a vampire bat!  He will become just like those grade 6 kids and be big and tall and wanting a scary costume for Halloween. 

I think that me and his mother will always see a little chicken no matter what the rest of the world sees.

However, I guess in one sense I am lucky...I have a boy... at least I don't have to think about the cute/sexy divide...thank heaven for small favours.

On the scary side of the cute/scary divide is this news story.  Evidently in the United States hospitals are allowing kids to come in and x-ray their candy to insure that it is safe and not full of razor blades.  This is scary for two reasons.  First, it just shows how insanely scared people are of threats which do not exist.  More importantly, can you imagine if you were a person who suffered a broken bone.  You would be waiting in agony as the x-ray machines were being taken up by little kids. 

You would also be in a waiting room filled with kids on a massive sugar high... welcome to my nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to tell me? Go ahead!