11.11.2011

Lest we forget...

Remembrance day... the non-day off holiday in which we take a minute of silence to remember those who died defending this country.  I think it is somewhat ironic that the Queen warrants a day off, but they do not. 

Jesus gets two days, couldn't he give one up? Selfish bastard.  (That isn't fair.  Jesus isn't selfish.  He is undeniably a bastard though). 

I guess it makes sense: God > Royalty = Pilgrims = Simcoe = Family > Soldiers.  

In honour of Remembrance day, I want to discuss my new found ability to forget everything.  Ever since I turned 30 I am a walking sieve of mental information.  Want me to do something?  You better tattoo it to my body so that I don't forget who you are and why it was my fault that my wife died from an insulin overdose (SPOILER).

It is a really puzzling experience.  I used to have a mind like a steel trap.  I would remember dates, cases for work...everything.  Now I have a mind like an old pair of flannel pajamas: soft, well-worn and wanting to go to bed.

This leads me to the conclusion that this is going to get worse.  I have fears of becoming a "wanderer", one of those old men who just meander around and seem lost in a haze.  I am already like 75% of the way there. 

So I am now training my brain.  I do a crossword puzzle a day to stave off Alzheimer's.  It isn't working.  I now know many different synonyms for milk (exploit, use, drain, siphon, moo-juice), but forget when I need to buy a carton. 

I guess the future is what the future is.  I will get old.  I will forget.  Hopefully, while I get old the people around me stay as amazing as they currently are.  As long as my life is good, remembering is overrated. 

Family Day > Remembrance Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to tell me? Go ahead!