11.16.2011

I get sick and look what happens...

I have been sick for the past week or so (thus the lack of posts).  I have been segregated from my family by my wife who has banished me (and my contagiousness) into the basement.  I think she secretly would like it if I was behind Plexiglas as in those Outbreak movies.  The upside would be we could do one of those heartbreaking scenes where we touch hands to the glass that separates us as I cry a single tear. 

This is my only chance to do that as I would not last long enough in jail to ever get a chance with the two way phones.

During my isolation one thing almost occurred that would have made me very sad.  NBC almost cancelled Community.  

Community is my favorite show.  It feels like it was made for me.  It is very rare that there is a show that references obscure things that you actually understand.  I don't mean like Family Guy where they hit you over the head with the reference.  Community is different.  It respects the work. It goes beyond referencing.  It is an "homage".

For example, in one episode Community did a homage to "My Dinner with Andre" (literally a movie about two people having a conversation at dinner).  Halfway through this particular episode, I thought to myself - this feels a lot like that movie... but who would reference that? Then it turned out that they were. 

They also did an episode centered around a critical analysis of "Who's the Boss".  I enjoyed this episode even more.

When they did an episode referencing Apollo 13 they had the exact right feel throughout the episode, even down to the one astronaut who doesn't get to go to space but understands that he plays an important role anyways.  Plus, we all know KFC is secretly behind all space missions (Hint: the 11th spice is made from martians)

Community is a show that while not the funniest on TV, is the truest.  The show shines because it treats its characters with a lot of respect and has a lot of heart.  It also has Allison Brie.

It appears that NBC may not be cancelling Community, but is instead putting it on "hiatus".  This cannot be a good development.  Please don't let Community be another My So Called Life, Freaks and Geeks, Sports Night.  If someone is watching "Two Broke Girls", we can all watch Community.

In the words of Abed (ironically rebelling against the impending cancellation of the Cape):

"Six Seasons and a Movie"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to tell me? Go ahead!